Nurse Summer Intern Position, Medical Services Department
New Jersey Transit
March 22, 2018
Full Time - Internship
Nurse Summer Intern Position
NJ TRANSIT Medical Services Department
1. Assists with performing physical exams, including taking vital signs, administering hearing, vision and EKG testing, obtaining Hemoglobin A1c, obtaining urinalysis specimens and all point of care testing. Will also obtain patient’s medical history. Utilizes specialized diagnostic procedures and equipment. Complies with all mandates of three federal agencies: the Federal Railroad Administration, Federal Transit Administration and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, as well as OSHA regulations.
2. Under direction of Manager, Clinical Services, conducts initial and follow-up interviews with patients, including those out sick or injured on the job. Discusses progress with in-house Physician and helps issue decision on whether employee can return to work or requires follow up appointment. Provides educational material to employee and proper forms for return visit.
3. Assists with administering medical monitoring programs, such as Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Blood Pressure/Blood Sugar program for Rail and Bus employees. Will make follow-up calls to employees to return them to work as quickly as possible. Will assist in updating databases.
4. Assists with authorizations for out of service employees, such as physical therapy, x-rays, etc. Reviews requests with treating facility, confirms attendance of employees and receives reports on employee’s progress.
5. Assists with auditing medical charts for quality assurance and compliance for the following groups of employees: Rail and Bus employees utilizing sick benefits, those out due to on-the-job injuries and other employees who remain out of service.
6. Assists with follow-up and tracking of Rail employees for monthly lost time meeting, including those out for obstructive sleep apnea. Conducts phone interviews with those out to obtain necessary documentation, under direction of Manager, Clinical Services.
7. Sets up and inputs confidential computer databases with medical information, such as daily medical log sent to Rail, Bus, Police and Corporate supervisors. Locates and sends Rail MD40’s to supervisors.
8. Assists with obtaining information for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) applications so that a proper clinical decision can be made and clarification can be provided to ADA committee.
9. Assists in triaging patients and prioritizing care based upon urgency of need. Obtains required medical documentation.
We encourage all interested undergraduate and graduate students to apply. If you are interested please send a cover letter and resume to NJTsummerintern@NJTransit.com. The cover letter must explain:
• Your area of interest • School Major • What you expect to gain / learn as an intern with NJ Transit • How you heard of the opening (Job Fair, School, Employee Referral…)
ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED
THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY HAS A RESIDENCY LAW NEW JERSEY TRANSIT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
About New Jersey Transit
General InformationNJ TRANSIT is New Jersey's public transportation corporation. Its mission is to provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service with a skilled team of employees, dedicated to our customers' needs and committed to excellence.Covering a service area of 5,325 square miles, NJ TRANSIT is the nation's third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. The agency operates a fleet of 2,027 buses, 711 trains and 45 light rail vehicles. On 236 bus routes and 11 rail lines statewide, NJ TRANSIT provides nearly 223 million passenger trips each year.NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens and people living in the state's rural areas who have no other means of transportation. In addition, the agency provides support and equipment to privately-owned contract bus carriers. As the vehicle that connects New Jerseyans with employment, education, health care and recreational opportunities in and around the Garden State, NJ TRANSIT is vital to the state's economic and social well-being, as well as its quality of life....Mission StatementTo provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service with a skilled team of employees, dedicated to our customers' needs and committed to excellence.