Manage daily shift activities of field supervisors and fare inspectors for TriMet's fixed route bus and MAX light rail service. Develop, coordinate and implement field deployment for normal, degraded, and emergency service including special events.
Responsible for performance management of Bus and Rail Supervisors, Fare Inspectors and associated employees or labor relations issues. Assists in hiring, training and development.
Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Maintain Field Supervisor competency. Ensure collaboration between OCC, Transportation, Service Delivery and Field Operations to develop and implement operational strategies and respond to accidents or emergencies, service disruptions, inclement weather, natural disasters, and special events. Ensure an effective and positive working relationship with the Maintenance division to ensure essential and timely responses including up to date situational awareness during events.
2. Develop, plan and implement service adjustments, field supervision strategies, and operational orders to respond to accidents or emergencies, service disruptions, inclement weather, natural disasters, and special events.
3. Responsible for deploying and directing field supervisory personnel and other resources as needed to recover, restore and maintain customer service. Support TriMet's incident commander, during major special event service and during a major emergency or natural disaster.
4. Assist in fare inspection including scheduling of staff and strategies to increase fare collection.
5. Responsible for oversight of track allocation and special events. Contribute to the direction of special events programs and strategies.
6. Assist with incident response, trouble shooting and reporting system deficiencies to resolution.
7. Model and hold staff accountable to be sensitive to the special needs of customers, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable populations.
8. Responsible for the recruitment and managing the performance of one or more of the following: Fare Inspectors, Field Operations Supervisors, Bus Dispatchers and Rail Controllers, Rail Operators, and/or Bus Operators.
9. Responsible for the effective management of employee and labor relations issues for one or more of the following: Fare Inspectors, Field Operations Supervisors, Bus Dispatchers and Rail Controllers, Rail Operators, and/or Bus Operators, including investigation, documentation and administering disciplinary action as required.
10. Develop a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and in full partnership with members and officers of the ATU. Ensure consistent application of policies, procedures and labor agreement throughout the workforce. Develop and maintain a productive, principle-based, and creative problem-solving approach to employee and labor relations' issues.
11. Establish, evaluate and ensure sustained excellence in operational performance through clearly defined objectives and measurements, regular monitoring of performance indicators, and continuous involvement of transportation workforce.
12. Support the development and implementation of annual goals and budget that support and align with the TriMet business plan. Help establish clear goals, targets, strategic actions and scorecards. Monitor budget expenditures, measure performance goals and recognize achievements.
13. Contribute to workforce planning for staff (staffing, scheduling and forecasting).
14. Investigator in charge of basic bus and rail incidents.
15. Evaluate individual and departmental performance. Provide individual coaching, mentoring and counseling as required to enhance performance. Monitor progress toward achieving individual and collective performance goals, provide feedback and recognize achievement.
16. Provide leadership in emergency situations. Responsible for coordinating service adjustments and to act as first responders in the field or to the base facility in the event of accidents or service emergencies, service disruptions, inclement weather, natural disasters and special events.
17. Provide direct supervision and leadership, including competency management, to employees and develop positive rapport with personnel and the public to assure optimal transportation employee performance and safe, courteous and reliable service.
18. Actively promote and support diversity in the workplace through staffing, promotions, training, and career development. Model respect for diversity in the workplace.
19. Provide direction and set standards for excellence in internal and external customer service. Promote professional and courteous behavior with a creative approach to problem resolution that creates a positive experience for the customer.
20. Assist in the documentation, development and implementation of policies, standard operating procedures, communication protocols, business processes, and training programs. Recommend changes as appropriate.
21. The position may be required to work in any of the following functions: Bus and Rail Operations (OCC), Bus and Rail Operations (Field Operations), Bus Operations (Transportation), Rail Operations (Transportation) depending on business needs and/or career growth and development.
22. Manage and oversee assigned shift activities to ensure and optimized delivery of safe, secure, reliable, and cost cost-effective delivery.
23. Assist in the management of resources including non-revenue vehicles, technical systems, equipment and tools to support effective deployment and service delivery performance. Monitor payroll and budget expenditures, including authorization for overtime.
Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Transportation/Logistics, Transportation/Urban Planning or a related discipline.
A minimum of eight (8) years total credited experience. Experience in a transportation, transit, or service related industry with three years in a supervisory role in one of the following area: Control Center, Field Operations, and/or Transportation.
Intermediate skills with Word, Excel, Outlook, database applications and other software applications.
Must possess valid Class C drivers' license and be able to obtain a Class B Commercial Drivers License, with passenger endorsement and without airbrake restriction.
Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays' notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail service in the Portland, Oregon, region. Our transportation options connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution — making our region a better place to live.