Remote Work: Hybrid Option; At Least 75% of Scheduled Work Time in the Office
Schedule: 4 x 10s or 5 x 8s with Flexible Schedule Options
Reports to: Staking Supervisor
Culture and Environment:
Emerald PUD is looking to add a knowledgeable, experienced, and motivated Staking Engineer to our team. This position is responsible for the design and preparation of staking plans for the construction of commercial and residential electric services. Emerald recently made a decision to utilize National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) as our primary source for business applications, including staking and mapping. We are in the process of transitioning to the software and updating our procedures and need someone who is comfortable dealing with change as we work through the project. We need someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in staking best practices, can make sound decisions on behalf of the utility and the customers, and can provide exceptional internal and external customer service.
We offer a robust and competitive benefit package, including exceptional medical coverage. In addition, Emerald covers the cost of the monthly medical premiums for employees and their dependents.
At Emerald PUD, we take pride in delivering an essential service to our customers, with safety and reliability as our top priorities. We were founded on the idea that employees should own part of the decision-making process and have upheld that value through the years. We strive to create an environment where employees are empowered to do what is right for both the utility and our customers. We are a small and nimble team that can adapt quickly when conditions change and we get the opportunity to wear many hats and collaborate with other departments and employees on a regular basis. We provide hybrid remote work and flexible schedule options, offer a strong compensation package, and continuously look for ways to help our employees create and maintain a healthy work/life balance.
The Staking Technician plays a key role in Emerald’s mission to provide safe and reliable power. This position is responsible for designing and processing distribution construction projects, conducting rights-of-way acquisition and permit requests, performing inspections, and supporting the joint use program. This involves communicating and collaborating with customers, contractors, and agency personnel. These critical activities ensure equipment and facilities are established and operating in a safe and effective manner, which is vital to Emerald’s mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Amount of time working in each function may vary. It is expected that the amount of time spent performing each function will fluctuate as needed for an employee to successfully manage their schedule.
1. Field Staking- Process requests for new residential and small commercial service. Design system improvement work such as overhead to underground conversion, cable and pole replacements, and equipment upgrades. These tasks can include meeting with customers, developing a design, identifying the material needs, generating cost estimates, and processing the records, contracts, permits, and notices. Prepare and submit rights-of-way permit requests to various agencies and authorities. Prepare and obtain easements, including accessing county records to obtain the legal descriptions. Perform routine voltage drop calculations and determine proper transformer and wire sizes. Coordinate with contractors and local government entities on utility construction projects and improvements. Support all aspects of the joint use program, which includes processing applications for attachment to Emerald’s facilities by joint users, and completing pre and post attachment inspections. Complete field inspections of Emerald’s facilities to ensure accurate asset inventory and all work is compliant with PUC, OSHA, OJUA, and NESC requirements, as well as Emerald’s safety rules and practices.
2. Communication and Collaboration- Although this position works independently the majority of the time, there are opportunities to collaborate with other employees. As a result, it is imperative to cooperate and keep an open in mind when working with others, focus on developing strong, effective working relationships with colleagues across departments, and willingly share skills, competencies, and knowledge with others. Communicate with customers, developers, contractors, and agencies in a professional manner and negotiate with tact.
3. Work Management- Embrace the culture of empowerment by using sound judgment, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing problems, making reasonable recommendations, and developing alternate solutions when necessary. Work independently and take ownership of assignments, following through to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and in a thorough manner. Take initiative to solve problems and explore opportunities to increase efficiencies.
4. Computer and Technology- Utilize diverse computer systems and programs to gather and analyze data. Help generate meaningful information to assist with decision making, increase efficiency, and maximize productivity. Be receptive to opportunities and changes involving new technologies and procedures.
5. Customer Service- Provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers to ensure expectations are met or exceeded. Help to build Emerald’s brand as a trusted advisor and provider of choice by looking for opportunities to enhance the customer experience.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Strong ability to take ownership of work and ensure internal and external customer needs are met.
2. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
3. Excellent customer service skills.
4. Strong organization and documentation skills.
5. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
6. Ability to exercise efficient time management, with the ability to self-direct and self-pace.
7. Ability to take initiative, use sound judgment, and be resourceful.
8. Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate across departments including peers, customers, and business partners.
9. Willingness and ability to learn new concepts and adopt alternative techniques within the rapidly changing utility industry.
10. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
1. Must have three (3) years of experience with electric distribution utility field work.
2. Must have three (3) years of experience and practical application of NESC rules as describe in the 2017 or newer NESC manual.
3. Must have working knowledge of surveying techniques and rights-of-way acquisition for private and public lands.
4. Must have knowledge of distribution line construction, framing strength requirements, and PUC, OSHA, and NESC requirements.
5. Must possess a current and valid Oregon driver’s license and have a good driving record.
1. Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must have technical coursework in electric distribution systems and electrical theory.
3. Must have a staking certification through NWPPA or similar certification through another credible staking program.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
1. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
2. Use of office equipment where some agility and hand-eye coordination are needed.
3. Must be able to maintain a level of fitness and agility that will meet the physical requirements of the job, which includes the ability to lift, carry, pull, and push items up to 50 lbs. and crouch, stoop, twist, turn, and balance on a frequent basis in order to complete staking work in the field.
4. Work environment can include shared work spaces and exposure to consistent or frequent noise from employee conversations.
5. Must be willing to work over the regular 40 hour/week schedule if requested or be called into work in the event of a power outage or other emergency.
This description is intended to represent key areas of responsibility. It is not meant to be all inclusive and does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Nothing in this description restricts EPUD’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Job descriptions may occasionally be updated, as necessary, to reflect evolving business needs.
At Emerald PUD, we take pride in delivering an essential service to our customers, with safety and reliability as our top priorities.
We were founded on the idea that employees should own part of the decision-making process and have upheld that value through the years.
We strive to create an environment where employees are empowered to do what is right for both the utility and our customers.
We are a small and nimble team that can adapt quickly when conditions change and we get the opportunity to wear many hats and collaborate with other departments and employees on a regular basis.
We provide both hybrid-remote work and flexible schedule options, offer a robust and competitive compensation package, and continuously look for ways to help our employees create and maintain a healthy work/life balance.